Saturday, April 2, 2022

THE VOICE OF AUTHORITY

SCRIPTURE: Exodus 3:13-22
VERSE FOR TODAY: Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, " The God of your father's has sent me to you,'  and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them? God said to Moses," . . . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I Am has sent me to you"' (Exodus 3:13,14, New Intetnational Version).
HYMN FOR TODAY: "I Sing the Mighty Power of God"

Many voices claim authority over our lives. Sometimes we yield to authority that is wielded from position of power or intimidation. At other times we yield to authority out f respect or reverence.
"I want to pack my lunch Mom, I don't want to buy it anymore, my seventh grade daughter announced when she came home from school. She told me how that day in the lunch line abig girl had bullied her into giving up her lunch money. She willingly submitted to the demands but determined that she would not be the target for this kind of intimidation again.
As a professor, my husband has established classroom rules, one of which prohibits male students from wearing hats in his classes. It is a matter of courtesy and lends to a certain decorum in the college classroom. Because of their respect for him and the institution, the students comply with his request.
We each bend to the authority of others out of fear or respect, but our ultimate source of truth and authority comes from the Almighty God. Let us be certain that when we submit to authority it is indeed His voice that we hear.

PRAYER THOUGHTS: O God, Your truth always call to us above the world's chatter and makes mute it's inconsequential bid for authority. Help us to listen to the voice of Jesus. In His name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment