Friday, July 4, 2014

"We Will Shine"

       " Those who are wise will shine
        like the brightness of the heavens,
        and those who lead many to 
        righteousness, like the stars for ever
        and ever."       
        Daniel 12:3

The other night before I went into the house, I stopped to listen to my neighbor's whistling pines and enjoy the thin slice of moon making a smile on the horizon. The night was a starry dome that took my breath away, and before the cold drove me indoors, my heart broke with joy and I whispered to the sky, "Jesus, wait for me, I'm coming home, I belong up there." Star do that to me.
       Symbols of crown and thrones, crystal seas and stars are found on virtually every page of Scripture. And to some, such symbolism can be off-putting. Just look at today's verse. We will shine likes stars? As C.S.  Lewis has said, "Who wishes to become a living electric light bulb?"
        But wait. Have you ever stood in the night wind and looked up at a blanket of star? The blazing brightness of the heaven so captures you that words can hardly express the ache in your heart. Here's the thing. The glory of the stars that csptivates you will one day be yours. The ecstasy that enraptures your heart at the sight of the night ablaze with twinkling lights. .  . you will put on glory like that. It will be yours for ever and ever.

      For more reading on this delightful 
      subject, pick up C. S. Lewis's The
      Weight of Glory. When it comes to
      wrapping reality around heavenly 
      symbols, nobody says it quite as he
      does.

No comments:

Post a Comment