Monday, November 29, 2021

IT"S NOT FAIR

SCRIPTURE: Nehemiah 9:26-37
VERSE FOR TODAY: In all that has happened to us,you have been just: you have acted faithfully, while we did wrong (Nehemiah 9:33, New International Version).
HYMN FOR TODAY: "How Great Thou Art"

As a child I can remember crying out, "It's not fair!" The occasions were times of parental discipline when I felt that my punishment was greater that I could bear or at least rougher than what my siblings were getting. Now I have gone through the learning experience of raising three children, I understand much better the justice of my parents.
Sometimes God"s discipline seem unfair. Nehemiah wisely recalls the numerous times that God was merciful, patient, and loving to the Old Testament people perhaps far more merciful that some of us might have been. Then he recalls God's acts of punishment and discipline concluding. "In all that had happened to us,  You have been just; you  have acted faithfully. While we did wrong" (Nehemiah 9:33). God warned them to return to His law.
Today we rejoice that the nature of our Creator included justice and righteousness as well as mercy, love, and compassion. A perfect balance of each if these attributes is what causes our soul to sing, "How great Thou Art!"

PRAYER THOUGHT: Help us to see that our actions causes a reaction I our physical and spiritual lives. May we not cry, "It"s not fair!" But may we with Your guiding hand, strive to live holy and godly lives. And thank You, dear God, for Your justice as well as Your mercy. We praise You this day for the discipline You have brought into our lives. It has drawn us closer to You. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment