Tuesday, November 16, 2021

STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN

Scripture: Ezekiel 3:22-37
Verse for Today: But when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you shall say to them, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says' (Ezekiel 3:27, New International Version). 
HYMN FOR TODAY: "Speak, Lord, in the Stillness"
Today's Scripture passage sounds like a contradiction. First God tells Ezekiel to be silent, then He tells him to speak. God said, "When I speak to you, I will open your mouth." Ezekiel was to speak only God's words. Witnessing for the Lord can be fruitless if it is done in the confidence of the flesh. We can only speak effectively for God when we know what He wants us to say. Moses is an example of one who did not trust in his own power to speak for God. He said, "o Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to [me]... I am slow of speech and tongue" (Exodus 4:10, New International Version). God reminded Moses that He made his mouth and that He would help him speak.
Before we speak for God, we need to stop, look to, and listen for, God to speak to us. The opened ear comes before the opened mouth. We cannot hear God speak unless we listen for Him. It is necessary for us to listen and know Him.
PRAYER THOUGHTS: Father, "May the words of my mouth...be acceptable in thy sight." These are the words You gave us to speak. May we have listening ears and obedient hearts to speak as You have instructed us to and to be silent as Your Holy Spirit directs. In the name of Jesus, our Savior, we pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment