Tuesday, November 23, 2021

READ IT AND WEEP--NO, REJOICE!

SCRIPTURE: Nehemiah 8:1-12
VERSE FOR TODAY: So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it (Isaiah 55:21, New International Version).
HYMN FOR TODAY: "Break Thou the Bread of Life"

The reaction in this passage to the public of the Word of God are fascinating. They include: " all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law" (v.3); "the people lifted their hands and responded, Amen! Amen! . . .then they bowed down and worshipped the Lord . . . " (v.6); "the people went away . . .to celebrate with great joy because they now understood the words that had been made known to them" (v.1,2).
What is my reaction to the reading of God's Word? Is it one of indifference? Perhaps it is an appropriate reaction but short lived. Do I Listen to the Bible, conscious that it is truly God's Word? Does my mind wonder? 
There is much in the Word of God that will prick our hearts and disturb our comfort zones. But the same Word, when responded to in obedience and submission, will bring occasions of great joy. It is still God's message of good news and we all know that our world is a bit short on good news!

PRAYER THOUGHTS: Gracious Lord, open our hearts to Your Word. Help us respond in the way that brings glory to You and joy to our lives. " Speak Lord, for your servant is listening." In Jesus name I Pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment