Tuesday, December 13, 2022

LOVE IN ACTION

SCRIPTURE: 1 John 3:11-24
VERSE FOR TODAY: My little children, let us love  not in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth (1John 3:18).
HYMN FOR TODAY: "Make Me a blessing"
I was driving down the main street in our community with my six- year old granddaughter and we passed a lady pushing a grocery cart filled to overflowing. "What's that lady got in that cart?" Heather asked. Everything she owns," I explained. "She doesn't have anywhere to live." Heather was confused, "Where does she eat? Where does she go to the bathroom? What about when it gets cold?" "There are a lot of people like that here," I told her. "Some are families with children. They lose their jobs and houses and some live in their cars or under the bridge," Tears filled her eyes. "Grandma," her voice quivered. "Why don't the people who love Jesus do something to help them?" I had no answer.
Later I shared this story with a grotesquely misshapen young man at a writers' seminar. Though his mind was sharp and he expressed himself well, he told me how several churches had turned him away because of his appearance. 
When I told him what Heather had said about the people who love Jesus, he replied sadly, "Tell her that the people who love Jesus don't always love other people."
PRAYER THOUGHTS: Dear Father, let it be said of our family members, " Behold, how they love one another," as, through Your love, we reach out to those around us who need Your help the most. Show us what we can do to share the blessings You have given us. In the name of Jesus, we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment