Saturday, January 7, 2017

Magnificent Vision

One of my favorite songs begins with these words: Magnify the Lord with me, Let us exakt his name together. . .

It's the third verse of the Thirty-fourth Psalm. When I read the story of the Epiphany, it is as if David wrote the words as an invitation to the three Wise men. The three king came to Christ and did exactly what David commanded. They fell at the Lord's feet. They worship Him and gave Him gifts
     How could they do that to an infant in poor surrounding? Because Christ the King was magnificent and, as king, demanded devotion. Too often we approach God differently. We approach Him as ifby our actions or words we could make Him more magnificent or note kingly, as if God needed a boost in self-esteem.
      Such thinking never entered David's mind or the minds of the wise men. When you magnify an object under a microscope, you don't make the object any bigger. What you magnify in your vision.
      Likewise, when you exalt a king, you do not not pronounce him as king. He already is. Magnifying and exalting God are function of our vision and humility, not of His revelation or His promotion. He already is who is.
      The wise men did not bring gifts to enhance Christ's power on earth. Nor did they come as heralds of heaven's court to place a crown on Jesus' head. His coronation had been held before time began. The wise men came with one thought in mind: To see the King. To accept his rule. And that my friend, is worship worthy of our God.

Magnify the Lord with me. . .

Lord enlarge my vision of You. Clarify my hazy notions of Your power. Sharpen my focus on your holiness,Empower me with a picture of your Majesty. And when I see You, may II accept You as King of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment