Sunday, March 5, 2017

HIS LOVINGKINDNESS

How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin is covered! How blessed is the man whom the Lord flies impute iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no deceit! When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away Through my groaning all day long, for day and night Thy hand was heavy upon me; My vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer. Selah,
Psalm 32:1-4

When you deceived those around you, you're living a lie. And when the child of God tries to hide sin, the guilt virtually eats him or her alive. But when you finally come to terms with your sin, and you make your confession, when you declare yourself guilty, God "surrounds you with His lovingkindness" His magnificent chesed.
I acknowledge my sin to Thee, And my iniquity I did not hide; I said, "I will confess my transgression to the Lord"; And Thou didst forgive the guilt of my sin. .  
Many are the sorrows of the wicked; But he who trust in the Lord, lovingjindness [chesed] shall surround him. (Psalm 32:5,10).
We see this same pattern in Psalm 51. Same context. Same man. Same set of sins. In fact, look in your Bibles and you'll see in the superscription, just below the title, that this is " A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he [David] had gone in to Bathsheba. " So this is month after David had committed adultery and had Bathsheba "s husband, Uriah, placed in the fiercest point of battle where he surely would be killed. David hugged his secret sins to himself until that day when Nathan courageously looked him in the eye and said, " You are the man!" And David response, recorded in  this psalm, is "Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your chesed"
Be gracious to me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness; According to the greatness of Thy compassion blot out transgression. Psalm 51:1
"Lord, I'm  at Your mercy," And God granted it to him.
Do you remember the part of David great Psalm 23?
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever Psalm 23:6
God's goodness and lovingkindness-- His chesed His mercy Some quaint commentator once suggested that since this psalm is written from the viewpoint of s Shepherd and his sheep, that last verse could represent God's sheep dog named Goodness and Mercy. Sheep of God, do you realize that these two faithful "dog"  watch over you and care for you? Their presence reminds us that relief has come. They nuzzles us back into the shadow of the Shepherd, who graciously welcomes us and forgive us.

No comments:

Post a Comment