Wednesday, December 15, 2021

THE LOVE OF THE WORLD

SCRIPTURE: 1John 2:15-29
VERSE FOR TODAY: Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him (1John 2:15 ).
HYMN FOR TODAY: "CLOSE TO YOU"

A man was looking for a person to drive a truck over mountain roads. "How close can you drive the truck to the edge?" he asked each one. "I can drive to within ten feet," the first replied. Wanting to out do him, the second boasted, "I can drive five feet from the edge." And you?" he asked the third. "I stay away from the edge as possible. He was hired. To love God means to stay as far away from worldly things as possible. Dr. J. Wilbur Chapman put it like this: " Anything that dims my vision of Christ, or takes away my taste for Bible study, or cramps my prayer life, or makes Christian work difficult, is wrong for me, and I must, as a Christian, turn away from it."
An old motto reads: Say nothing you would not want to be saying when Jesus comes. Do nothing you would not want to be doing when Jesus comes. Go nowhere you would not want to be found when Jesus comes."
Perhaps my mother said it best when she oft reminded me,  "If in doubt, leave it out."

PRAYER THOUGHT: Lord someone once said, "As Christians, we're not isolated from the world, but we're not insulated against the world." Let our prayer today be as close to You and to stay as far away from temptation as possible. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment