Saturday, December 20, 2014

A Learning Experience

"The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words Promote instruction."                  Proverbs 16:21

I'm a quadriplegic, but I can drive a van ( it doesn't have a steering wheel, But that's another story). Recently I cruised into a drive- thru lane of a fast Food restuarant to order hamburgers and Cokes. After I gave my order over the intercom, I explained that the boy at the window would have to help me  since I was disabled. No problem. I then drove up to the delivery window, struck out my arm splint. That was no problem, euther. As another srver was bagging my order, I asked him to place my change in it as well. Both boys looked at each other, a little confused, and so I smiled and slowly repeated my instructions. Both servers got the message, and they even wrapped the change in a napkin before they dropped it into the bag with the food. They handed me my order, but I had to ask, " Coukd you please lean out of your window a bit more and wedge the bag right here between me and the van doir? Both boys looked at each other again. "Remember? I can't use my hands? I smiled. Put "Oh yeah," they laughed and procceeded to reach over and fasten the package securely between my wheelchair and the door. They waved as I drove off. And smiled back knowing those two boys would now have a new appreciation for disabled people. What could have been an awkward, embarrassing situation turned out to be fun. Today, take a complicated situation and with time, patience, and a smile turn it into something positive for you and for Others. 

         



1 comment:

  1. Don't just give share it so thzt they will know access granted!

    ReplyDelete