Friday, December 26, 2014

The Day After

 "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and
perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set
before him, endured the cross scorning its
shame, and sat down at the right hand of the
 throne of God."                                     
                                                  Hebrew 12:2

    One of my favorite days of the holiday
season is the tweenty-sixth of December. The
 rushed conversation and frantic last -minute
purchasing are over. Between Christmas Day
and New Year's Eve I take as day or two off,
sleep in, get up to a relaxed breakfast, and
breathe a sigh of relief.
    Later in the morning, we collapse on the
couch in front of the fire. play board games,
or reopen gifts to take a longer, closer look.
we read books and flip through photos. We
nibble leftovers Christmas pudding and keep
a warm pot of coffee for anyone who may
happen to drop by. For supper that evening,
 the menu is more leftovers, perhaps
sandwiches of turkey and stuffing.It's casual,
 homey, and relaxed. But most important
it's simple.
    It's a deliberate kind of simplicity. Demands
and distractioins may sidetracked us before,
but December 26 is reserved for peace and
quiet.
Their'splenty of time to mediate on what the
Good News of our  Savior's birth really means.
There's time to ponder the future and pray.
There are more than enough quiet moments
to relax in the love of the Lord.
This week, aim for simplicity. The last few
weeks may have been filled with baking,
shopping concerts, gift wrapping and dinner
parties, but today, celebrate simplicity as you
fix your eyes on Jesus..
Lord Jesus, this week people around the world
heralded your birht and celebrate Your gift of
love. May the wonder of Your birth remain with
me all through thjis day as I fix my eyes on you.
 I quiet my heart, I relax my mind, I slow my
pace so that I may mediate on Your love, so
pure and simple.        

No comments:

Post a Comment