Monday, October 3, 2016

ON MY SIDE

The Lord is on my side; I will not fear
Psalm 118:6

After Olympic gymnast Gabby Doughlas captured two gold medals in the2012 London Games, she made this proclamation: "God will never fail you. He's always on your side."
    Sometimes this kind of  statement by an athlete can misunderstood. It can be taken to mean that if i'm competing against you in a sports contest and i have God's help, there is no way i can lose. But if we turn to Psalm 118:5-6 we get the true picture of what this line. The psalm wrote, "I called in the Lord in distress. the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. The Lord is on my side: I will not fear."
     Another version translates  verse 6 as "the LORD is with me" (NIV). It's the idea that when trouble comes into our lives, God, who is full of mercy and love (which "endured forever" v.4) will always be attentive to us and provide the protection we need.
     We can learn from this heroic Olympic champion. When  the economy falters and our finances can't keep up. "God will never fail you." when a relationship we cherished falls apart; indeed no matter what our situation, as Christ followers we know where to find help. "The Lord is on my side

No comments:

Post a Comment