Thursday, October 6, 2016

You must Go To Church

Let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together.
                                                                         Hebrew 10: 24-25

In a letter to the editor of a British newspaper, a man complained that  he saw no sense in going to  church every Sunday. "I have been attending service quite regularly for the past 30 years." he wrote, "and during that time I  have listened to no less than 3,000 sermons. But to my constemstion, I discover I cannot remember a singleb one of them. I wonder if a minister's time might be more profitably spent on something else."
    That letter sparked many responses. One, however, was the clincher: "I have been married for 30 years. During that time I have eaten 32,850 meals mostly of my wife's cooking . Suddenly I have discoverd that I cannot remember the menu of a single meal. And yet, I received nourishment from every one of them. I have the distinct impression that without them I would have starved to death long ago."
    The Bible assumes the importance of going to church, and the only admonition to do so appears in the context of the danger of forsaking the practice (Hebrews 10:25). We need help to keep our faith and hope from wavering (v23). and to love and do good works (v24). Just as physical food keeps us alive and strong, so also the spiritual nourishment of teaching and fellowship are necesssary for our survival.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment