Tuesday, June 14, 2016

"FICKLE FOLLOWERS"

   "Behold, your king is coming, sitting on a 
    donkey's colt.
                                                   John 12: 15


How quickly public opinion can change! When
Jesus entered Jerusalem for the Passover feast.
He was welcomed by crowds cheering to have
Him made King (John 12:13). But by the end
of the week, the crowds were demanding that
He be crucified (19:15).
     I recognize myself in those fickle crowds. I
Love cheering for a team that's winning but my
interest wanes when they start losing. I love
being part of a movement that is new and
exciting, but when the energy moves to a new
part of town. I'm ready to move on. I love
following Jesus when He is doing the
impossible, but Islink away when He expect me
to do something difficult. It's exciting to follow
Jesus when I can do it as part of the "in" crowd.
It's easy to trust Hom when He outsmarts the
smart  people and outmaneuver do the people in
power (see Matt. 12 10; 22;15-40). But when
He begins to talk about suffering and sacrifice
and death. I hesitate.
     I like to think that I would have followed Jesus
all the way to the cross --but I have my doubts.
After all, if I don't speak up for Him in places
where it's safe, what makes me think I would
do so in a crowd of His opponents?
   How thankful I am that Jesus died for fickle
followers do that we can become devoted
follower.



No comments:

Post a Comment