Wednesday, March 9, 2022

SENTENCED TO LIFE

SCRIPTURE: John 5:19-29
VERSE FOR TODAY: "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believe him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life" (John 5:24, New International Version).
HYMN FOR TODAY: " I'll  Live for Him who died for Me"

The story is told of a militar leader and preacher who became friends during a time when their country was ruled by an anti-Christian government. Eventually the military leader was ordered to execute all those who would not forsaked their  Christian beliefs. He went to his friend and begged him to simply say that no longer believed. His frustration grew as the preacher continued to refuse. Finally he shouted, "Don't you realize that I have your life and death in my hands?"
The preacher answered quietly, "No; you may have power to sentence me to death, but you are asking me to give up the only one with the power to grant me life."
Our world is full of people who claim the right to judge others and to tell them how to live. That judgmental spirit is present inside and outside the church. Jesus is the one who has truly been given the authority to judge, but His emphasis is not on condemnation; it is on the promise of life in Him. In the same way, God wants our focus to be on proclaiming life, not death. People you will encounter today are facing death and hopelessness. What can you do to proclaim the giver of the most abundant life imaginable?

PRAYER THOUGHTS: Dear Lord what a marvelous thing it us that, in spite of all we have done to deserve death, You seek to bring us life! Help us to glory in that life and to take it to others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment